Wednesday, April 20, 2011

How I Would Fix It - MLB

How I would fix it - is a series of post on how I would make something better.  I am starting with different sports teams/leagues but it could be about anything.
 Here are the changes I would make to MLB.
1. Fix the TV viewing experience. Baseball on TV is 65% watching the pitcher, 20% watching players adjust themselves and spit, 10% watching the mascot run the bases in a hot dog uniform and 5% actual live action with players hitting and running around the bases. The screen needs to look like a world series of poker event. Show the strike out and hitting percentages that update with each pitch. Super-impose a strike zone box with ball tracking. Show ERA and "chance of run scored this inning" stats. Not only would it be better to watch, it will make the stat nerds happy.

2. Only show games with relevant teams. Whether or not a game is televised depends on the winning percentage of the teams. If both teams combine percentage is under 50% show another game. Nothing is worse than Astros at the Nationals.

3. More teams need to make the playoffs. Even adding another wild-card team would help. Make the 2 wild-cards play each other  in a best 2 of 3 in order to get the 4th spot.  Any tie breaks would go to the team that won the head-to-head in the regular season.  This would also decide home field for the wild play in.

4. The NL and the AL should have the same rules.  I mean seriously, how is this not done yet?

5. The all star game will no longer decide home field advantage in the world series.  I mean seriously, how is this not done yet?

6. No male over 12 should be allowed to take their glove to the ball park.
sad, very, very sad

7.  Put all the games on the radio.  Baseball is magical on the radio.  I don't know why, but it is the only sport that is better on the radio.  Let people live stream the audio on their phones and computers.  I spent a hour looking for the Yankees opening day on the radio, never found it.  That is unacceptable.
 
That is what I've got.  Next "how I'd fix it" will be about the NBA, hopefully I can get it out soon.  Thanks for the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment