Saturday, February 20, 2010

What's on my investing radar

I have 2 different sectors on my radar this month.
Basic Materials

ProShares Ultra Basic Materials (ETF) UYM
This fund invests in the basic materials that go into most products in our lives.  So paper, wood, aluminum, steel, …….  It is also geared towards a 2x performance of these goods.  So, if you see that things are heading up in the economy this is a great across the board play.
Up 15.35% since being added to my watch list on 2-11-10
The inverse play is ProShares UltraShort Basic Materials (ETF) SMN
Which is down -14.57% in the same time frame.

The other sector that is catching my eye is shipping.

Companies like Nordic American Tanker NAT are set up to take advantage of the turning economy and the rapid Chinese expansion.  Probably the most overlooked thing about these companies is the fantastic dividends that some of them pay.  That being said, watch out for Greece.  The country is home to about 1/4 of the worlds shipping companies, so I would pic individual stocks and not invest in a shipping ETF.
Shipping rates are going up.
And shipping companies are finding interesting ways to cut costs.

I am currently long on technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment