Thursday, September 8, 2011

FOOTBALL is now!

Just finished up work and turned on NFL FOOTBALL!  That's right it's back.  So, I decided to blog during the game about fantasy football while I watch.  There will probably be breaks in between if something awesome happens live.  Like the flag the Green Bay fans made holding up colored cards, turning the whole stadium into a red, white, and blue circle of glory.

I am not a pro fantasy footballer.  This is only my 4th season, and I play in a 8 person league.  But, I really enjoy analyzing my team week to week, and I have placed 1st, 2nd, and 1st in the last 3 years, which means I have been lucky a lot.  It also means I will probably finish last this year since I maybe giving away my strategy.

First, I really like my team this year and I will underline a player if I drafted them.  Second, I have a very basic strategy: draft value, play based on match ups, don't fall in love with anybody.  I usually have 2-3 times the amount of swaps off the waivers as anyone else in my league.  So here we go... wait turn over, first one of the year, Packers should go up 14-0, just hope its a run, Tyler has A Rod and we are matched up this week.... here we go.

QB's
There are only 3 qb's that I think are great pickups:
Rodgers
Breese
Rivers
Not that Brady and P. Manning (out for the first time ever) aren't the best, but they usually have their divisions and games wrapped up, which means lots of runs and being benched late in the year when it really hurts you.  I like my qb's to play all year.  I had Vick last year, but he has injury written all over him this year.  The rest of the league is serviceable, with Matt Ryan being the best of the rest.

RB's
There are 2 backs above the rest:
Foster
Peterson
Then take the next 6 and put them in a hat and mix it up.  They are all good backs and can have huge weeks, but its more situational.  Any back that doesn't have a solid back up, and his team is good enough not to get blown out can be really good.

WR's
This year we are playing with 4 wrs, which means we will be drafting deep into the ranks and who knows  about your 3-4 wr each week.  Wow! A Rod has 3 TD passes in the 1st quarter, I may be done... anyway.  I have 4 at the top:
A. Johnson
C. Johnson
Fitzgerald
R. White
Then there are about a dozen great wide outs.  WR is a great place to pick up "cheap" points.  If you can get a Ochocinco as your 3 or 4 do it, I like "washed up" wide outs that go to teams with above average QB's.  I also like young guys in the 3-4 slots if they have a legit star to pull the best DB's off of them.  I drop and pick up WR's almost every week.  I don't keep them if they get cold, too many available, not that much difference between them.

TE's
They are all the same, all of them.  If they start they get 60 yds and a touchdown every other game.  Good luck figuring out which game.  Just pick one and move on.

DEF
Defenses that cause turn overs are more valuable than "solid" defenses that keep the score low.  You don't care if they lose by 10 if they get 3 Ints.  There are just too many points in sacks and turn overs.  Points don't matter.  A team can have a "average" D that will score you more points than a really good one.  This is really.... wow Darren Sproles, TD punt return.  Good time to mention that some leagues let you count return TD's in your total which makes a team with a great returner worth a look.  Don't draft a DEF till your last 2 picks.  I also don't usually like having a back-up D since there is always a good one in FA.

K
If your league values field goal distance, you may want to make this your third to last pic, if not, this should be your last pick.  Just get an old faithful, or someone who has home games in a dome.

Well, that's about everything, please excuse any player name mis-spells, I'm not that much of a nerd to know how to spell all their names.  I'll keep everyone posted on how I'm doing this year.  Also, heading into fall, so I may have more time to post.  Thanks for the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment