Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The older I get, the less...... the more...... Sports

This is part 1 of ? more to come on other topics

The older I get the more my priorities seem to change. I don't know if its caring less or if it takes more to get my attention.... or impress me..... or matter to me. Before you roll your eyes too far, don't take this post as being filled with some deep, long sought-for concept. I'm just saying.....

I haven't watched ESPN in at least 2 weeks, and lately I have been trimming down my sports tree. My priority list for sports(don't hate on me just cause I'm honest) in order of how much I care.

1. Texas Football(big games are at 1, Texas vs UTEP is about 3.5)

2. Super Bowl (as long as the story line is good, if not this is about 6)
3.Winter and Summer Olympics
4. Golf Major with Tiger (no Tiger no way)
5. NFL game with VY or the Cowboys (I really tried to like the Texans, and I do, but the Boys are always such a show, Jerry roaming the side lines and calling plays, Marshmallow looking for his reading glasses....... they are on your head Mr Magoo)
6. Tennis Major with Roddick (no Andy no way)
7. Tour de France with Lance (no Lance no way)
8. NBA finals (if they have Lebron, Kobe or the Spurs(local team))
9. World Cup
10. Odd ball sports: wood chopping, dog shows, Notre Dame Football w/ Weis,.....
If it doesn't make this list well..... I'm not watching.
What about the World Series??? Well if you are talking about the world series of poker then throw that in with the odd ball sports, I actually watched about 45 mins of that last year. If you are talking baseball then sorry you have barked up the wrong tree. I watched 5 innings, game 3, of the 08 world series. I turned it on cause I thought "this is the world series, this is the right thing to do, it's America's past time, like apple pie and muscle cars" then my wife got home and was like "don't we have any gossip girl on the DVR?"
"yes honey we do, but this is the world series","so, how much of this are you going to watch?" well.... about 1 more catchers walk out to the mound, and a camera shot at both managers, and a 15 second camera shot at the guys SITTING in the bull pen, and the pitcher going to the rosin bag, all this so he could try a pic off move at 1st. So, what do you think we watched????
The teenage drama of course. Why??? because I want to be entertained (keeping the wife happy doesn't hurt either). And that's the thing about most sports. There are too many of them on TV and I honestly don't care about that many of them.

I don't hate baseball, seriously, my brother and I played spring and fall baseball every year till high school. And I love going to the ball park, as long as I can get a cheap ticket, and its $2 draft night, and I can leave by the 7th. The same thing goes for the other sports that didn't make the list. I think live hockey is incredible.... but its not the same on TV.
It's a simple economic equation: the more you put it on TV and the more games that you have in your season the less I care.... the less I have to care. It's supply and demand. So NHL, MLB, NBA, NCAA Basketball if you want me to watch, put it on TV less not more. With the exception of Texas football, almost everything else in the list is a once a year or once every few years event.

Think about it this way, and smelllllllelllellll what the rock is cooking. Watching sports is like going out to eat. The types of food that you can get at any street corner.... think burgers or fried chicken..... how much are you willing to pay for that.


When you want to go some place nice, something you look forward to, you go to a nice resturant where a proffesional chef prepares your meal.
My life has a lot going on, I get fewer and fewer chances to just sit and watch sports on TV. The less time you have to give to sports, the more valuable your time becomes. It's like going out to eat when you are in college, you do it all the time so who cares if you go to Burger King. But, if you only have dinner out a few times a month, I doubt you say to your date, "hey let's have a special evening, with a spicy chicken sandwich, curly fries, a cheese cake, and a jack head."

1 comment:

  1. The last two dates I was on we went to Whole Foods and the other I took to Dan's hamburgers. Maybe that's why there wasn't a date number 2?
    I appreciate that you ranked the olympics towards the top of your list - seeing that we helped the ratings of curling soar to the top for Round Rock Texas.

    ReplyDelete